Saturday, April 21, 2012

Why adoption?


I kind of wanted to back up now and explain what led us to this choice of adopting. Here it is...
        I have always felt drawn to adoption and felt it was such a beautiful expression of unconditional love.  Early in our marriage I would casually talk about it with Josh but he would dismiss it as an option for us.  One year I attended a Steven Curtis Chapman concert shortly after they adopted their first child from China.  I was so moved by what he spoke of and by the plight of the orphan that I felt that one day I truly wanted to adopt from China.  Several years, and 3 kids later, in November of 2009, I was listening to a radio program that was discussing adoption and orphans.  It was that day that I was overwhelmed by an undeniable, unshakable knowledge that we were definitely supposed to adopt.  After praying about it, I approached Josh with what I believed God had planned for our family.  For the first time, he actually said he would think about it and pray about it.  It was then that I knew we were beginning a new chapter in our lives.  For the next two years, we prayed, researched, and discussed adoption.  We concluded that caring for orphans is mandated by God in one way or another.  For us, we feel that adoption resembles how God has adopted us to be his children.  We decided to step out in faith and trust Him completely in this journey.  In September of 2011, a new door was opened for us to officially begin the process.  We know now that it was all in God’s perfect timing and plan for us to become united with our sweet daughter in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment